Wednesday, June 2, 2010

One Year (Part 2)

Wrote this May 26th. It seems a bit incomplete, but I'll post anyways:

May 26, 2010

This past Sunday, May 23, 2010, was the one year anniversary of my accident. [Fireworks!]

I feel like I should write my thoughts about it. It wasn’t as dramatic as I thought it would be. A few friends sent me messages (some after checking my Facebook status). Other than that, it was a perfectly normal day. I didn’t feel any different at all.

If you had talked to me a little less than a year ago, I would never have expected to have made it this far. The year 2009 was horrible for me. I still thank God because it had its blessings… but overall, it was extremely disappointing. 2010, on the other hand, has treated me very well, surprisingly. Alhamdulillah. I don’t think I have laughed harder and this often before in my life.

This past year has been the biggest roller coaster. I have seen and witnessed things that I would never have imagined and would never wish upon anyone else. In addition to personally growing, this past year has also given me the gift of realizing the true character in people. I have lost many “close friends”, as well as lost contact with new people who I met and had a lot of fun with before last year. This was compensated by being introduced to the most amazing people.

I was actually talking earlier today with someone about how some people act like they are happy for others, but are really not. They are actually envious. Then, there are friends who are truly happy for others. Post-accident, I have been introduced to several of these truly good people. These are not people who are nice and friendly only upfront but are really interested only in reputation and fun. These are people who have stood by my side in the darkest of hours.

Some of these people are not aware of the effect they have on others. A smile, a note, a kind word, a prayer, encouragement—these things are done unintentionally by these truly good people. However, they go a very long way. These people do not shy away from the pain and hurt of others. Instead, they embrace it and somehow make one feel better. Without these truly good people, I would not have made it this far. May God bless these people, InshaAllah.

2 comments:

  1. Buddy system. "BUDDAAYY." Wish you the best of luck and ties with the people who matter most to you iA!

    ReplyDelete