Monday, August 23, 2010

Trick love the kids

"Why don't you go upstairs? Are you scared?" my parents' friend's young daughter asked.

"Nah, I just like it better down here," I replied. Her loquaciousness reminded me of my youngest sister.

I love kids. I've grown up around infants and toddlers, so they have always been familiar to me. A few friends have already called it that I will do some sort of specialty involving pediatrics.

Kids seem to get along with me even better now. I have a beard, which I thought made me look older, but little kids still interact with me the way they would with any other child they see. I
believe it's the wheelchair. First off, it makes me close to their height. That removes a lot of inhibitions they may have. Secondly, most of them have never seen such a space-aged device. It's completely alien to them and they are curious and fascinated.

A few months ago, I posted an entry from GMH that illustrates the acceptance with no preconceived notions that children have. Young children are innocent. They aren't filled with stereotypes and assumed ideas like the rest of us. They are easily amused and most haven't experienced the world enough to know real pain.

Many of us still have not gotten past that stage. We still seek attention and approval. We still become upset over petty things. We are still pampered and don't know real struggle and pain.

The only thing that separates most of us from children is that we take little wonders for granted, while they do not. Most of us could learn a thing or two from the innocence of a child. Have you seen how happy a child gets when their parent says, “Okay, you can play for a little longer, but for five minutes only.” Those five minutes mean the world to a child. How often do we waste five minutes here and there and take time for granted?

That’s why I love kids. They’re my little homies and it’s so cool when they give me a high five or start playing with my chair. I love it when they run up to me and show off their new shoes or their lollipop that they have and I don’t. Rock on kiddos, rock on.

5 comments:

  1. Why are you so amazing? People seem to hear this all the time yet forget it constantly.

    I love this post. Kids truly are wonderful. You'll no doubt be the best pediatrician ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thank you Rucha, really, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are truely one of a kind Hammad. This post made me smile! We can all learn a thing or two from kids, they are just soo innocent.

    From the looks of it, I think you will be an amazing pediatrician. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I smiled the whole time I read this. Start to finish. Kids have wonderful, wandering minds mA. They are always a surprise. Awesome post.

    The fat kid picture makes it 10 times more adorable. haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this post, hammad, and the throwback title referencing trick daddy - priceless... you gots-ta understand, trick love the kids

    ReplyDelete